Monday, April 30, 2012

Las Fiestas

The last 2 weeks of April is when Muy Muy celebrates their fiesta patronales and honors San Benito. For those of you at home I´m comparing it to the local hometown festivals (CG Fireman´s Festival) and St. Patrick´s Day but for the span of 2 weeks!! If you´re thinking OMG! you´re absolutely right! The celebrations consist of multiple rodeos, lots of bombas (fireworks, but not pretty fireworks just loud booms), hipica (horse parade), processions where the saint is carried throughout the streets and a gaggle of people follow, music and lots and lots of drinking.
It is an interesting cultural experience, but once is enough for me. Over the course of the celebrations, my phone was lost, my pictures on my camera were erased and no I didn´t have them backed up on my computer, I was stared at and touched more than usual since people from other towns came and aren´t accostumed to seeing a blondie, and I was constantly told to change clothes because my clothes were not ¨pretty¨ enough to go to the rodeo or party. I ended up buying a pair of jeans that are bedazzled beyond my liking and I bought a plaid shirt to ¨fit¨in to the cowboy culture I´m living in. The overall consensus was my outfit was finally approved and now I´ll probably be expected to wear that to every event from here on out.
It was fun and I´m glad that I was here to experience it, but I´m also glad it´s over and hopefully life can continue on it´s normal schedule. It´s such a big event that classes were cancelled for the whole week, so I had plenty of time on my hands, too much time. I spent most of my time reading and laying in my hammock and have a couple experiments going with my garden and seeds. I´m hoping they will be successful. And I´ve started to create my lists of things to do while I´m home - get ready people because it´s going to be a long list and I´ve only got 2 weeks to check everything off.
72 days!
I´m sorry I don´t have more to say but words wouldn´t do it justice. If you want to experience it for yourself, you´re more than welcome to visit me next year at this time. And I have a few videos that I´ll be posting to Facebook of the rodeo, so you can get a taste.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I would pay to see you in bedazzeled jeans and a rodeo top! Good thing I saved Grandma`s bedazeler. We can put beads on all your clothes when you come home!!! 72 days will not come fast enough. We are sooo looking forward to catching up and spending time with you. Let the count down begin! We love you more than you know. Take care Sweetheart. Tracy

    ReplyDelete