Monday, February 20, 2012

I have a problem with saying No

School has finally started and I went from having way too much time on my hands to really not having any time on my hands. I´m working in two schools that have been assigned by Peace Corps, giving classes and working on the school gardens in the mornings. Then I´ve been asked to help with English classes in a Catholic school in town, my understanding of the word help differs from their understanding of the word. I was under the impression that I would be helping, assisting, aiding, supporting another teacher with classes; no....I´m the teacher. I keep trying to tell them that I really can´t be the teacher because Peace Corps is my first priority and I`m not a licensed Nicaraguan English teacher, but they still are having me teach secondary classes every afternoon. I could just stop showing up, I guess; but that won`t look very good. So I`m giving classes from 7 AM to 7 PM because I also am giving English classes to students at my house. And manualidades (arts and crafts) on Sundays. Dios Mio!
What else? I really haven´t got anything else to share because all of my time has been spent in classrooms. My best friend is a nine year old girl who comes over to my house every day to play cards with me. Old Maid is still a huge hit with all the neighborhood kids; and even though I try to explain that it`s really no fun between two people we still play anyways.
Luckily, I haven´t had any critters in my house, besides my host family`s two dogs which spend more time at my house than at their house. I`m still trying to figure out why because I don`t feed them or anything but their always there and sleep on my front porch at night. The other day I did kill a rather large beetle, which was kind of gross...but much better than any type of rodent.
This is a really lame post, sorry. Hopefully the next one will be more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment