Monday, November 28, 2011

Can I fast forward to February already?

So it´s been a week in site and I´m already wishing that time would go by more quickly. There were some highlights to the week, which I´ll get to later, but most of my days consist of me sitting around as reported earlier. And what makes it even worse is when people ask me what I´m doing, NOTHING! Just today I had someone tell me that I´d better do something otherwise I´ll start gaining weight just sitting around all day, Thank you sir! Even if I wasn´t already concerned about gaining weight from the carb loaded diet I eat everyday, or from the fact that I know I´m a big waste of space at the present moment by not doing really anything productive I still would´ve been offended by the comment.
So in addition to my sitting around, I attended a wedding on Saturday night which was a nice experience. I only knew the one person who invited me and I of course felt out of place like every other day here. I really didn´t pack for the various special occasions that I´ve been invited to. I wore a dress which compared to the Nica women was very casual and I was also told I wasn´t wearing enough makeup. But, in my defense even in the States when I wear makeup I don´t even wear enough for Nica standards. The wedding was very pretty and everyone was very nice until they made me dance. URGH, my face turned to a classic shade of red as I was pushed onto the dance floor and it proceeded to get redder as more and more people gathered to watch the gringa dance. What felt like an eternity and an inferno on my face, the song finally ended and I snuck off to sit down at my table. After the wedding there was a birthday party which I attended for a short while. I came late and one bottle of rum had already been disposed of before I arrived, if that paints a picture of the state of the guests. It was an experience. I had a man tell me in drunken English that I look like Barbie and have a nice face, which he proceeded to repeat over and over along with his life story. It was a fun time and all of these events are helping me meet people in the community, which I´m thankful for and they are all very nice and welcoming; it´s just too bad they all work during the day while I sit in the park with nothing to do.
I also attended a 2 year old´s birthday party on Sunday. Kid´s birthday parties are always fun, but they always have the exact same procedure: soda, food, pinata, Eskimo (ice cream), cake - and the cake is your signal to leave, literally it´s handed to you on a napkin and you gather your belongings and enjoy the cake at home. I chose a seat a little too close to the pinata and there were some kids aggressively trying to break the pinata, a blindfolded child with a broom handle and wildly swinging pinata overhead = a bit terrifying.
This first week passed by relatively quickly, but I had 3 events to attend to and was able to celebrate Thanksgiving with PC Volunteers by feasting on coffee and Nicaraguan food. Hopefully many of my weeks will have highlights and events that make the days pass by because when I have my family telling me that I can come home at anytime it´s only too tempting when there´s nothing for me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment