Friday, March 30, 2012

I didn't know horses could speak Spanish.

After a very long - hot climb up the side of the mountain (600 meters high), we stopped and our tour guide gave us a little bit of information at various spots. One stop took us to what used to be the center of the volcano before it blew up the whole side of the mountain in the 70's. We were able to go over to see the fumers where sulfur and steam were coming out -- we could also stomp our foot on the ground and it was hollow! From the very top you could see the chain of volcanos that spanned across the horizon. Sledding down the volcano was so much fun!! It was scary at first, but after a while we got used to the feel of it. Lindsey went down first and only went about 15km/hr and I was going about 30km/hr. Near the bottom, I got the high speed wobbles and wiped out, sliding down the rocky sandy volcano. I got a little bit of road rash on my arm and a nice cut on my leg, so hopefully I don't bring back some Nicaraguan plague when I come home tomorrow!! We looked like dalmatians when we came back, we were covered in black dust -- very similar to Grandpa Kamp after he started the vacuum on fire in the garage!

We took another bus back to Managua from Leon and a different bus from Managua to Muy Muy. The bus had us packed in there like cattle. There was hardly any space to move. It was supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour bus ride, but it turned into a 4 1/2 hour ride. We came across a road block on the main highway and Nicaraguans are so impatient, drivers just started driving down in the ditches to get around it. Our bus driver was the same way. We just started off roading in a yellow school bus -- down dirt roads, through tall grasses and trees, before finally popping back out on the main road to finish the trek. Several times, it felt like we were going to tip over. After driving on the main road for a while, we had to stop yet again, this time because we broke a belt on the bus - it took another 45 min for them to get the bus up and running. There was also a man on the bus that was very fond of Lindsey -- he thanked both of us for visiting the country - but really probably could have cared less about me!

In Muy Muy, all the neighbor kids flock to Lindsey's house - every single day. They seem to have forgotten that Lindsey even lives there because they come outside calling for Justin, not Lindsey anymore!! We play soccer, tag, and hide and seek in the street. They are also amazed with my many talents of noises that I can make (whistling in my hands, popping my mouth). I met some of Lindsey's local friends that are her age - they serenaded us with some songs and dancing. We did some "gardening" in Lindsey's backyard -- it is basically a gravel pit. We made an attempt at making a compost pile -- but I'm sure that it was a very sad, pathetic attempt!! I went to some of Lindsey's classes and watched her babble in spanish and then teach an english class -- FINALLY something I could understand! haha! We went horseback riding down to a river - it was really pretty, unfortunately, I got really sunburnt.

Today, we are in Matagalpa - to buy some coffee, cigars, and rum for me to take back home. Lindsey has skype all set up on her computer now, so now we can all skype with her when she has internet access!!

Sadly, I am leaving tomorrow morning to take another crowded bus back to Managua so I can catch my flight back home. I wish I could stay longer - perhaps I'll be able to come for another visit before Lindsey leaves.


1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your visit presentation. Sounds like you and Lindsey had a great time. I know your Grandma Vick enjoyed reading your blog. Take care and looking forward to hearing about your visit. The Volcano ride sounded exciting.
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete